Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Against the Grain (Part 2)


Yesterday I told you about being diagnosed with a gluten allergy. When I was first diagnosed, I thought of the obvious things like bread and pasta but I had NO idea how many everyday food items have gluten in them. I bought several books and started reading some online blogs on how to transition into being gluten free easily.

So, what is gluten exactly? Celiac.org gives the following definition, "Gluten is a general name for the proteins found in wheat, rye, barley and triticale. Gluten helps foods maintain their shape, acting as a glue that holds food together."

Gluten is found in anything made with flour like breads, cakes, cookies, pasta, flour tortillas, cereal, pastries, etc. It is also in items that you wouldn't necessarily expect like soups, salad dressings, BBQ sauce, spices, seasoned chips, beer and wine coolers, soy sauce, hot chocolate, and candy. I could go on and on about what gluten is in but I'd rather focus on the things I CAN eat!

Now you are probably thinking, "There isn't a lot of things NOT on that list!" But fear not! I have found substitutions or alternatives to almost everything.

There are two types of people who are gluten free. Some people are those that do it for a medical reason like an allergy or Celiac disease. (That's me!) Then there are those that just avoid it for personal health reasons. For those that are doing it for diet purposes, they don't have to be as careful as those of us with an intolerance. If they accidentally have a bit of something with gluten in it, they may not even notice. If someone with an allergy has gluten on accident, it could result in several days of sickness/reaction. In other words, I have to read the labels on EVERYTHING that I eat. A lot of companies are starting to place the simple gluten free logo on their items which makes it so easy for me! Others, I just have to read the labels and know all of the different names that gluten could be hiding under. Luckily, if I'm not sure about an ingredient, all I have to do is Google it and I can find the answer pretty easily.

Okay, here we go--I want to tell you about all of the amazing things I still get to eat! Like I said before, gluten free doesn't mean taste free! Thankfully companies are catching on to gluten free demand and they are doing their best to bring us yummy alternatives.

First of all, I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I try to have one or the other or both at every meal. That is an easy gluten free part of my meal. Here is a list that I have put together of my favorite gluten free items at the grocery store.

It can be used to make lots of items but my favorite are the pancakes. They take just like "normal" pancakes! It can also be used for biscuits, waffles, and even breading for fried chicken.



These are a great snack and I really enjoy dipping them in Nutella! They also come in several flavors.


These are one of my go to breakfast items. Toasted with a little butter and jelly--yum!



Again, another good breakfast or snack option.



These taste exactly like the "normal" ones! Hubs can't even taste the difference. (That's when I know it's really good!)



I have tried most of these but my favorites are the brownie, cookie, cake, and cornbread mixes.




These are new but I LOVE them! Such a great snack.




These are a total guilty pleasure, but oh so very yummy.




9. Pillsbury Gluten Free Funfetti Mixes
No other explanation. Who doesn't love Funfetti?!




I know there are others, but these are certainly my go to items at the grocery stores. Now, here is a list of my favorite places to eat out!

The best steak outside of making it yourself, and super yummy salads and sides.




When I have a craving for Asian food, these are both great places that have several GF options for me.



This is a local Austin chain but they offer a very large gluten free selection. My favorite is the GF pancake.




Another local chain, they offer a pretty good GF bun but I prefer my burger bunless. They also have a dedicated GF fryer for their french fries which are very yummy!




Fast food I know, but there aren't a ton of fast food options out there for gluten free friends. CFA fries their fries in a dedicated fryer and I order the grilled nuggets. I can also have any of the sauces, which we all know is important.




By far the most "normal" tasting bread alternative I have found so far. The first time I ordered the GF bun, I had to ask a manager to double check when they brought it to me. It looked like the regular buns! They have a lot of options and are really good to work with you to answer any questions.




Funny enough, I can walk into Chipotle and order the exact thing that I have always eaten. (The bowl!) They are a very GF friendly restaurant.




An Austin chain, they have great GF protocol in place that makes a girl very happy and their GF bread is super tasty.



A local place, these guys are amazing when it comes to finding something delicious for me to eat. Everything is homemade so they are able to tell you exactly what you can and can't have. They are awesome people.




Last but not least is for the evening when I don't feel like cooking OR going out. Pizza Hut rolled out their new GF crust a few months ago and it is pretty yummy!




Now, there are more places that we like to eat but this post would be forever long if I talked about all of them. This is just to give you an idea of places to start with it you are looking for some good GF alternatives.

Well, I hope that I have given you some insight into my GF life! I feel great and am totally free of my symptoms. I have lost around 30 pounds in the last 11 months and have not had a bit of anxiety about life in general. In 11 months, I have had 2 reactions and those were all from eating/drinking things that I just assumed were "safe." Needless to say, I read EVERYTHING now, even if it seems like something obvious.

If you want to learn more, I can direct you to some great blogs and books. And I am always happy to talk with you myself about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment